Here is a growing set of resources to help you in your mission to learn Ayurveda. Whether it’s chatting to your community in the student forum, visiting the many online articles or being signposted to a relevant book, we believe you’ll get the support you need.
Student Forum, chat to your community
Log in with ‘Student Login’ at the side or bottom of the page and then enter the forum here.
Resources to help you learn Ayurveda (by module)
- Charaka Samhita Sutra Sthana (Volume 1)
- Sushruta Samhita Sutra Sthana (Volume 1)
- Astanga Samgraha Sutra Sthana (Volume 1)
- Astanga Hrdayam Sutra Sthana (Volume 1)
- Are you in your element? You and your doshas
- Understanding your health – in pictures
- Bhavaprakasha Vol 1
- East meets West, by Jasmine Hemsley
- Eat Taste Heal – an Ayurvedic Guidebook and Cookbook for Modern Living, T Yarema, D Rhoda, J Brannigan (2006)
- Yoga and Ayurveda Self-healing and Self-realization, D Frawley (1999)
- The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home remedies, Dr V Lad (1999)
- Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-healing, by Usha and Dr Vasant Lad (1997)
- The Ayurvedic Cookbook, Lotus Press, Amadea Morningstar (2001)
- The Sivananda Yoga Cookbook- Vegetarian Food for Body and Mind
- Dr Vasant Lad’s US based Ayurveda Institute (www.ayurveda.com) for doshic diet download
- Gut: the inside story of our body’s most under-rated organ, Giulia Enders (2015)
- The Paleovedic Diet, Akil Palanisamy, MD (2015)
- Missing Microbes; How the Overuse of Antibiotics is Fueling our Modern Plagues, Martin J Blaser (2015)
- Prof Tim Spector and his British Gut Project: Its aim is to map the gut microbiome of the British population following on the work of American Gut, which has already collected thousands of samples from US volunteers.
- The Diet Myth, Tim Spector
- Research on the gut-brain connection
- Research on the influence of the gut on the mind
- Research on the MMC and here
- Research on probiotics
- Probiotic/prebiotic combining research
- Probiotic effect of herbs: rosemary, cinnamon, turmeric , triphala and liquorice
- It all comes back to Digestion
- The 6 tastes of Ayurveda
- Avoid disease by keeping free from ama – the number 1 cause of disease
- You’re not what you eat, you’re what you digest
- Avoid these combinations (and ignore the myths)
- Why we Sleep, Professor Matthew Walker
- Honey- Ayurvedic Nectar but does heating make it toxic?
- Is today’s “milk” really milk?
- The myths of oils and fats
- Sourdough – the bread that’s easy to digest
- What’s the story with wheat?
- Know your proteins – they literally build you
- Pulses – the best kept protein secret
- Caffeine – gets us moving, at what cost?
- Pantry essentials
- Smoothies and juices – choose wisely
- Add spices, add flavour, improve nutrition
- 4 causes of sugar cravings and how to banish them
- Tune into daily rhythms for best health
- “Massage is essential” – now that sounds good
- Your nose doesn’t have to welcome germs; introducing the neti pot
- With spring, comes kapha
- Quench the flames of pitta this summer
- Watch the wind – it’s a tricky little fellow
- Chung, I.M., Yeo, M.A., Kim, S.J. and Moon, H.I., 2011. Protective effects of organic solvent fractions from the seeds of Vigna radiata L. wilczek against antioxidant mechanisms. Human & experimental toxicology, 30(8), pp.904-909.
- Gertsch, J., 2016. The metabolic plant feedback hypothesis: How plant secondary metabolites non-specifically impact human health. Planta medica, 82(11/12), pp.920-929.
- Lu, Q.Y., Summanen, P.H., Lee, R.P., Huang, J., Henning, S.M., Heber, D., Finegold, S.M. and Li, Z., 2017. Prebiotic potential and chemical composition of seven culinary spice extracts. Journal of food science, 82(8), pp.1807-1813.
- Thakkar, J., Chaudhari, S. and Sarkar, P.K., 2011. Ritucharya: Answer to the lifestyle disorders. Ayu, 32(4), p.466. Ritucharya: Answer to the lifestyle disorders (nih.gov)
- Nelson, R.J. and Demas, G.E., 1996. Seasonal changes in immune function. The Quarterly review of biology, 71(4), pp.511-548. Seasonal changes in immune function – PubMed (nih.gov)
This is a growing list, we’ll be adding more and more to help you learn Ayurveda.